Safe Schools program provides support to school programs and communities to develop safe school culture and supportive learning environment. Trainings, technical assistance and resources assist districts in the prevention and intervention services to build a safe, orderly and positive behavior environment for academic success and positive youth development.
A safe school environment is one that strives to:
- prevent violence in and around schools
- prevent the illegal use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- involve parents and communities
- maintain a current Safe School Plan
- coordinate with related federal, state, school, and community efforts and resources to foster a safe and drug-free learning environment that supports student academic achievement
- promote youth development and resiliency
- includes protective factors as part of this effort
Safe Schools staff provide training and technical assistance in the areas of school safety and crisis response planning, school violence reduction, gang prevention and intervention, substance abuse prevention, health education, and positive youth development.