The Shasta County Office of Education serves as the local agency approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) to register and monitor the credentials of persons hired by county school districts for positions requiring administrative, teaching, service and special education credentials as well as other permits and certificates. The Credential Services office supports and assists public school districts, certificated employees and credential applicants in Shasta County.
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Child Development Permits
- Credential Renewal
- Exams - Including Subject Matter Competence
- Substitute Teacher Requirements
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) is the state agency that issues California Credentials. If you would like to contact CCTC:
California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
1900 Capitol Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
Call between the hours of 12:30 pm and 4:30 pm (PST)
First time Child Development Permits:
- All necessary paperwork can be found online through the Child Development Training Consortium.
Child Development Permit renewals:
- All permits, except for the Child Development Associate Teacher Permit and Regular Children Center Permit, can be renewed online through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- The Associate Teacher Permit can be renewed one time only and requires the completion of 15 additional units towards a Teacher Permit. To renew this permit, submit a completed application (41-4) and application processing fee directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Regular Children Center Permits can be renewed by mailing a completed application (41-4) and application processing fee of $100.00 directly to the Commission.
Extension to complete professional growth requirements:
- One-time two-year extension is available to allow additional time to complete renewal requirements. The two-year extension requires that the following be submitted to the Commission’s office:
1. A completed application (41-4)
2. A written request for the one-time two-year extension
3. Application processing fee $100.00 (made payable to CCTC)
- Mail completed packets to:
Commission on Teacher Credentialing
1900 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
Substitute permits, some child development permits, and all professional, professional clear and clear credentials must be renewed online through the CCTC website.Renewing online 3 (three) months prior to the expiration date usually allows enough time for the document to be granted and downloaded to our payroll system. Be sure to print the last screen containing the 16 digit confirmation number. This last screen will allow us to activate a Temporary County Certificate in the payroll system, alleviating the concern about a pay hold.
In the event that your credential/permit has already expired or the Commission's website won't allow you to renew online, you will need to obtain and process the renewal form (41-4) through the Credentials office at the Shasta County Office of Education. The renewal fee is currently $100 payable by personal check, money order or cashiers check to CCTC.
Subject Matter Competence - The subject area listed on an out-of-state credential authorization must correspond to a California subject area in order for the Commission to issue a credential. If the subject(s) listed on the out-of-state credential are other than "elementary teaching" or "self-contained teaching", a preliminary credential will be issued but the applicant will be required to meet California subject matter requirements before the clear credential may be issued. For greater detail about subject matter competence, refer to CTC leaflet CL-674M (multiple subject) or CL-674S (single subject).
The Shasta County Office of Education maintains the county-wide substitute teacher list. You must be processed and cleared through our office to be added to this list. Once cleared, you will be eligible to substitute at any of the 25 public school districts in Shasta County.
We are currently accepting both fully Credentialed Teachers and applicants who have an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit.
Minimum qualifications to substitute:
- Full California Credential or Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit.
-To qualify for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit, you must have a Bachelor's Degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university and have passed a Basic Skills Test (California Educational Skills Test - CBEST, CSET, MS plus writing skills or an approved out-of-state Basic Skills Requirement exam).
- Negative Tuberculosis Clearance completed within the last 60 days
- Fingerprint Clearance
-You will be given fingerprinting instructions after you return your completed packet. Even though you may have been fingerprinted for other agencies, you are still required to be fingerprinted for Substitute Teacher employment in Shasta County.
- I have a credential...
1. Contact the SCOE Credential's Office at email@example.com for an application packet.
2. Call (530) 225-0202 to make an appointment to return your completed packet along with the required documentation. Fingerprint instructions will be given to you at this time.
- I do not have a credential and would like to apply for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit...
1. Substitute Permit applications can be picked up at the SCOE Credential's Office. The permit recommendation is done online by the Credential Analyst and completed by the applicant. The applicant must also complete a county substitute packet.
2. Call (530) 225-0202 to make an appointment to return your completed packet(s) along with the required documentation. Fingerprint instructions will be given to you at this time.
Please note: If you have a Certificate of Clearance issued through the CCTC, you will not need to be fingerprinted again for the Commission when applying for your Substitute Permit. Please contact the Credential's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the fingerprinting process.
Credentials Services Analyst
1644 Magnolia Ave
Redding, CA 96001
Fax: (530) 245-7826