Shasta County Independent Study (SCIS) is an alternative to conventional educational settings, allowing students to complete coursework independently under the supervision of a credentialed teacher. Students meet individually with an assigned teacher a minimum of two times per week. SCIS is voluntary and provides the flexibility to meet students’ specific needs, interests and learning styles. Our Independent Study teachers utilize State and district-adopted curriculum to insure students meet or exceed California graduation requirements. Instruction is offered at two locations in Redding—one at 3711 Oasis Road, the other one on the Shasta College campus.
To develop educated, socially responsible citizens.
Shasta County Independent Study offers flexible options for personalized/diverse learning to prepare students for college and career readiness.
The capacity to learn is a GIFT; the ability to learn is a SKILL; the willingness to learn is a CHOICE. Brian Herbert
Our Classroom Locations
Shasta County Independent Study - Main Campus
3711 Oasis Road, Redding, CA 96003
- We believe that all students in our community school will graduate from high school prepared to obtain a high-skilled, high wage career.
- We believe that students need to be prepared for to real world occupations and careers, including having the opportunity to earn certifications and college credits while in high school.
- We believe that students in an alternative program benefit from individualized instruction that allows for a program designed for their individual needs and one-on-one or small group interaction with an instructor.
- We believe that making learning relevant to students will results in greater engagement in the educational process.
- We believe that using instructional technology to provide access to course materials enhances student’s ability to be self-directed and to assume responsibility for their progress towards graduation.
- Complete an enrollment packet and permission to release school records (parent/guardian signature required).
- Complete academic assessment for placement in English and Math
- Schedule weekly dates and times for Independent Study sessions
- View our Parent/Student Handbook here for English, or here for Spanish. If resources in another language are requested, please contact our office at 530-225-0163.
Shasta College Concurrent Enrollment: