Office of Education
Welcome to the Shasta County Office of Education!
Our mission at the Shasta County Office of Education (SCOE) is one that I am passionate about, knowing that to be leaders in educational excellence, we, within SCOE, need to be leaders who are continuously learning and improving so that the support we offer to schools and our community will ensure Shasta County students receive a quality education preparing them for high school graduation and success in career and college.
I have had the privilege to work for SCOE for more than a decade. During this time, under the direction of passionate leaders with great expertise, we have seen:
- the culture within SCOE shift to one where our core values of service, hospitality, continuous improvement, humor, trustworthiness, and consistency have helped us to attract, hire, and retain the best employees;
- relationships with our union groups continue to grow as trusting, collaborative partnerships;
- over 17,000 students participate in SCOE’s Afterschool Programs that have provided caring support and enrichment opportunities they would not have otherwise experienced;
- a significant focus on careers within our Alternative Education and Independent Study Programs, with students being given the opportunity to job shadow, participate in mock interviews, and consider career interests to provide greater direction during and following high school;
- special needs students at Excel Academy thrive as they gain the behavioral and academic skills that have made it possible for 37 students to transition back to their home school districts in the last 5 years;
- our Preschools focus on increasing the quality of their learning environments for our youngest learners;
- 175 participants over a 8-year period complete the Shasta Leadership Academy (Tier 1 Administrator Credential Program) offered by our Professional Learning and Leadership Support Services Department that prepares leaders for the world of school administration;
- services offered through our Business Services Department grow through contracts with more school districts and the ability to provide support and assistance as needs arise;
- the services offered to school districts from the Professional Learning and Leadership Support Services Department increase from 3 managers in 2007 to 14 managers in 2019;
- services to support only a handful of school districts in the county have grown to include instructional programs, grants, and services that touch every school district and almost every charter school in the county through our Professional Learning and Leadership Support Services Department;
- our Early Childhood Services Department receive significant funding through the Quality Counts to provide professional learning opportunities to preschool teachers around the county and throughout the region to help continuously improve the learning experiences of young children;
- over 130 employees participate in our Wellness Program which began 7 years ago, led by our Human Resources Department, which provides ongoing wellness education and challenges that are maintaining a “culture of health” in the organization, and which have allowed the Shasta-Trinity Schools Insurance Group (STSIG) to maintain much lower increases to health premiums;
- services offered through our Information Technology Department grow significantly with contracts to support every school district in our county over the last 12 years, with every school district now serviced by the high-speed network;
- our Maintenance & Operations Department transform our worksites, both inside and out;
- our Vehicle Maintenance shop grow, now holding contracts with 11 school districts as well as Shasta Head Start and RABA;
- our Transportation Department has developed on-site drivers who have become State Certified Instructors who are providing training services for school bus drivers within the county; and
- REACH HIGHER Shasta change the educational landscape with partnerships across school districts, colleges, and other community agencies to help increase the number of students who leave high school with every option available for their future.
The Shasta County Office of Education is flourishing, being recognized statewide for our programs, our services, and our leaders. We are so fortunate to have dedicated leaders and staff who seek to continuously improve our service to the community and beyond. It is my honor to be able to serve the greater Shasta County community in this role as Shasta County Superintendent of Schools.
Shasta County Superintendent of Schools
Executive Assistant to the Superintendent
1644 Magnolia Avenue
Redding, CA 96001
Contact Our Office
This segment of “Enjoy Exceptional Living” is provided courtesy of Enjoy Magazine, KFOI Radio and Lynn E Fritz, Licensed Marriage Family Therapist