- Teacher of the Year
- Principal for a Day
- Classified School Employee of the Year
- California School Recognition Program
- 2020 Educator Appreciation
As a county, we honor teachers in three categories each year:
- Elementary School (including Pre-K)
- Middle School
- High School
Teachers are nominated by their schools and candidates are selected from those applications submitted for each of these categories at the conclusion of each school year. A committee selects one of these outstanding teachers to participate in the California Teachers of the Year Program. This program highlights educational innovation, student learning, and the rewards of teaching.
The state program results in the annual selection of five teachers who reflect the diversity of our teachers and students. The process pays tribute to California's teaching force, the complexity of challenges that confront our schools, and the need to promote collaboration and teamwork to meet those challenges. The overall purpose of the California Teachers of the Year Program is to pay tribute to the tireless efforts of our state's outstanding teachers. In doing so, the program brings deserved recognition to the 300,000 California members of the teaching profession.
Please help to celebrate and honor our state's exemplary and highly qualified teachers for the 2019/20 school year who represent our students and schools.
Brittany Jones - Elementary, North State Aspire Academy, Cascade Union Elementary School District
Katherine Conway - Middle School, Sequoia Middle School, Redding School District
Gavin Spencer - High School, Shasta High School, Shasta Union High School District
Classified School Employee
of the Year 2019
The Classified School Employee of the Year program is sponsored each year by the California Department of Education in partnership with County Offices of Education.
This program highlights contributions of California’s classified school employees who provide academic support and services for public school students in preschool through grade twelve. The six nomination categories are Child Nutrition, Maintenance, Operations and Facilities, Office and Technical, Para-Educator and Instructional Assistance, Support Services and Security and Transportation.
Each school in Shasta County is offered the opportunity to nominate their district candidates and submit their finalists for competition at the county level. The winners at the county level are publicly recognized at a special ceremony hosted by the Shasta County Board of Education. The six county winners are then submitted to the California Department of Education for competition at the state level.
The 2019 Shasta County Classified School Employee
of the Year winners are:
- Office and Technical - Lena Martin, Shasta County Office of Education
- Child Nutrition - Leslee Reynolds - Enterprise Elementary School District
- Support Services and Security - Marina Mix - Enterprise Elementary School District
- Maintenance, Operations and Facilities - Samra Warren - Redding Elementary School District
- Para-Educator and Instructional Assistance - Lynn Forero - Redding Elementary School District
As a final note, a copy of the news release naming the 2019 state level winners can be viewed at www.cde.ca.gov
The California Department of Education (CDE) seeks to recognize outstanding educational programs and practices. The California School Recognition Program was created to honor schools that demonstrate exemplary achievements.
The California DS Program recognizes elementary and middle and high schools in alternate years and allows eligible schools to apply for the California Distinguished School Award once every two years. Schools recognized as a California Distinguished School Awardee hold the Distinguished School Title for two years.
In addition, each year two of California's DS Awardees are eligible to become a National ESEA Distinguished Schools Awardees.
There were no schools recognized in Shasta County for the 2020 Distinguished Schools Award.
Shasta County Office of Education
Educator Appreciation Night
***This event has been cancelled.***
Please join us in celebrating our Shasta County Honorees!
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
The Gaia Hotel, 4125 Riverside Place, Anderson, CA
The evening will begin at 6:00 p.m. with a no host social followed by dinner and program at 6:30 p.m.
The honorees this year may include:
- Employees, classified, certificated, and management who have received county, region, state, or national level recognition this school year.
- Board members with 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, or 35 years of service.
- Those who have completed the Masters in Governance Program within the last year.
- Teachers who have received their National Board Certification within the last year.
- Any schools that have received a Distinguished School Award or Title 1 High Achievement Award.
Dinner choices at $40 per person are:
- 8 oz smoked prime rib served with au jus fingerling potatoes and seasonal vegetables
- Grilled salmon topped with a bourbon maple glaze served with wild rice and seasonal vegetables
- Woodside pasta (pappardelle pasta tossed in a kale pesto sauce with sauteed mushrooms, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and seasonal vegetables)
Dinner will include a house salad, rolls, coffee, iced tea and dessert.
Please fill out the attached registration form to attend.
Deadline for registration is Tuesday, April 14, 2020
***When filling out the registration, be prepared to share information about your honorees. Once you have registered your honoree, please email a JPEG photo ***