Whiskeytown Environmental School
The general environment near the facility is a mixed forest of manzanita, pine and oak. There is also an abundance of wildlife living at or near the campus. Deer graze on the campus lawn and bald eagles nest and feed within the area. Clear Creek provides a habitat that attracts great blue herons, ducks, frogs, fish, aquatic insects, and many other animals. This has been a place of joy and learning for children for over 50 years.
- Since the 2018 Carr Fire damaged the site, the National Park Service, the Shasta County Office of Education, WES Community (nonprofit) and Friends of Whiskeytown (nonprofit) formed WES Forever.
- We have half-day field labs running in spring and fall. We do yet have a summer camp, but one was piloted in 2022.
- Architectural plans are in place for complete rebuild and we are awaiting potential funds from the National Park Service since SCOE cannot fund reconstruction on Park Service land. We are aware that our community stands ready to help one the needs are known. Learn more about the efforts of our nonprofit groups at WES Community.
- Learn more about our popular K-6 Field labs.
- Explore our nature and historical information and resources https://www.shastacoe.org/fs/admin/site/pages/467